Saturday, January 8, 2011

Random Thoughts (after all isn't that what blogging is all about?)

There is nothing like watching the snowfall out the window of the Y as you are walking the temperature-controlled, indoor track to make you feel good about the money you spent on your Y membership.

There is nothing like watching the very fit, skinny woman running on the street in the snow in front of you as you pull out of the Y parking lot to make you feel bad about the money you spent on your Y membership.

Worrying that the heavyset woman on the track approaching behind you is purposefully plotting ways to make you walk faster, move to the shorter lane, or feel bad about your pace since she's heavier than you and is moving faster than you, is proof you suffer from paranoid delusions. She doesn't give a shit about you, she just wants you to get out of her way.

The euphoria you felt over solving your concentration problem by buying a mechanical clicker is short lived as the novelty will wear off in 24 hours and you will yet again find yourself staring at your starting point from across the track and wondering, "did I click off that lap?"

After accidently copying my entire music library onto my iPod Shuffle instead of just the Super Pep playlist, I find that certain songs are really better for keeping up my 4mph pace than others. Good songs for brisk walking:
Here it Goes Again (Ok Go)
Karma Chameleon (Boy George)
Step into my Office Baby (Belle and Sebastian)
You Can't Always Get What You Want (both the Glee version and the Stones)
You Spin me Right Round (Billy Idol)
Mrs. Robinson (Simon and Garfunkel)
Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard (Paul Simon)
Love you Madly (Cake)
Black Horse and the Cherry Tree (KT Turnstall) -- sadly, I cannot keep myself from singing along with this one no matter how hard I try.
Golddigger (the Glee version)
I would walk 500 miles (The Proclaimers) -- favorite line: "If I get drunk yes I know I'm gonna be, I'm gonna be the man who gets drunk next to you. And if I haver yeah I know I'm gonna be, I'm gonna be the man who's havering to you."
Just what I needed (The Cars)
Fluorescent Adolescent (Arctic Monkeys) favorite line: "You took a left off Last Laugh Lane."

Songs that aren't so good and need to be deleted off my shuffle:
The more we get together (Raffi)
Defying Gravity (Wicked Cast Album and Glee)
Tiny Dancer (Elton John) Sorry Elton, love you but you don't get my heart racing anymore....

No matter how cocky you feel because you have a big honking 4-wheel drive car with anti-lock brakes and high end snow tires, if you don't slow down you are going to skid in the snow. And as a corollary to that, putting a "skid indicator light" on the dashboard of a car is really stupid since I don't think anyone really doesn't know when they are skidding. But then I grew up in Florida, what do I know about driving in snow....




2 comments:

  1. ahmmmm...."wheel drive car with antilock breaks and high end snow tires"

    antilock *brakes*.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, ok, jeeze everyone's an editor.....

    ReplyDelete