Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Everyone Needs a Cheering Section


Today, it was just me and a few other crazy people who trudged to the Y in the sleet and freezing rain at 5:30AM. It was really nice when I got the two thumbs up from Wally, my trainer, when I broke 50 crunches for the first time today. (When I first started at the Y, I could barely get to 10). But then as I was leaving, a very fit, very trim, elderly man, stepped out of the wellness center as I was grabbing for my coat coming off the track. I had seen him a few times when I was in the wellness room doing my resistance training but had never spoken to him.
"Leaving so soon?" he slyly smiled.
"Hey, I've been here since 5:30, where've you been?" I sarcastically retorted.
"In bed sleeping!"
"Probably a better use of your time on a day like today," I answered.
"Well," he said, "you're doing great!"
I was shocked, did he mean today? or in general? Had he taken notice of me before?
"Thanks," I said, "I'm not seeing any physical evidence of it, but I'll take your word for it."
Then he told me how there were those a lot worse off than I, which I had agreed and noted that I had seen them at the Walmart, which he found quite amusing. Then he repeated, with a smile as he walked toward the door, "You're doing just fine, I'll let you know if I think it's going otherwise."
"Thanks!" I yelled after him. It's nice to know someone's watching my back(side). Literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment