Friday, September 30, 2011

Tell me the truth, does this country make me look fat?

Since I painted all eastern european women in that stereotypical, androgynous, russian, olympic-wrestler, paint brush, I figured with my recent 30+ pound weight loss i'd be a shoe in for best body at the baths award. It came as oh such a shock the first day in country as I arrived at my new office only find a bevy of the most perfect physical specimens. Instantly, I felt obese again. The same way I felt walking down the streets of Paris; like my size 16 butt was screaming "OBESE AMERICAN TOURIST." But here I was, a size 10, realizing that in Hungarian terms that represented "Large" where by American standards I was just starting to feel good about moving to Medium.

In my six weeks here, I've tried to analyze why it is that these women have the exact opposite ratio of "normal" to "obese" as we have in the states. All of my amateur nutritional ethnographic detective skills seem to be failing me though.

I watch them, every day, eating the most amazing pastries and baked goods for breakfast and snacks. They seem to cook their vegetables to death, removing what we have come to believe are the most important nutritional and fiber values. There are tons of cars and even those who walk mostly take public transportation. And, I'm loath to write this off to genetics BECAUSE I SHARE DNA WITH THIS PEOPLE!
So i give up trying to figure it out.

I've started eating like a hungarian but I've managed to gain two pounds. I walk to work every day, go to the gym every morning (which by the way the Hungarian women think is hysterical), and have forgone any desserts during the week. And yet, I can do nothing more than keep my weight at two pounds over what it was when I stepped foot in this country. Go figure.

In the mean time, I watch my Hungarian peers, eating pokacha every day made with either lard, cheese or potato, down glass after glass of hungarian beer at happy hour, and partake in the most amazing baked goods of all ilk that I have every experienced outside of Paris. Oh well, while my mouth believes when in Hungary do like the Hungarians, my body apparently is not on board.

No comments:

Post a Comment