Saturday, October 1, 2011

A bikini? Really?

I can now be counted with the millions of European women who, by American standards, should NOT be wearing a bikini. Yes in just under two months in this country and countless times participating in the national past time - soaking my body in the public mineral baths (think public pool without the chlorine) - I have come around to their way of thinking. It will take me while to get over what they all have obviously no compulsion to give another thought to: all my cellulite and fat rolls are on display for the world to see. I am, in the immortal words of someone too stoned to care in the sixties, letting it all hang out.

I neither have the language skills nor the chutzpah to ask any of these women who, we in America tend to snicker at on the beach as their bellies seem to be breaking through the little strings that are holding on their tiny patch of triangular fabric (that as far as I can see's only value is hiding a few pubic hairs), what are they thinking?

But I can try to speculate now from my own experience, as I am about to reveal my far less than perfect and pale-ass, body to the world at the hungarian summer spot, Lake Balaton.

First and foremost, I have to say, I appreciate very much having a little of my body as possible wrapped in spandex, the clothing equivalent of saran wrap. Parts of my body are breathing in the fresh air today that have never seen daylight. No really, not since I was a size five, sixteen year-old, have some of these patches of skin gotten to see the great outdoors and of course visa versa. In those days, the less material you wore was directly proportional to your chances of finding a guy. Today this actually has the exact opposite ratio of material to male interest with my current body. But regardless, it is really nice not to be sweating like a pig which has to gain me some points on the public attractiveness scale?

Along those lines, I have to think that there is something really healthy about my potential vitamin D intake today. I can only imagine that while some of these people in itty bitty bikinis may be overweight I'll bet their vitamin d levels are great.

The next benefit I've discovered is navigating the little tiny wc's along the beaches and baths. There is something to be said for the quick in and out with the little bitty bikini bottom!

And let me be clear. I don't for a minute delude myself into thinking that I rock this bikini. After a full day on various and sundry beaches in the 'hungarian inland sea,' I can tell you that there were definitely those among us who did and many of us, myself included, who didn't (some even less than I). And I certainly didn't buy it and wear it because I think I got something to flaunt, because I absolutely don't. But the point is I don't care. I'm not making a statement about my body or even showing it off for that matter. It's just showing, so, get over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment